Photo: Boudewijn Bollmann
I’m a classically trained cellist with an interest in linking the old and the new and more than a decade of experience performing music in a variety of styles to different audiences around the world.
Currently based in Amsterdam, I develop both solo and collaborative performances and projects aimed at casting a new light on the classical repertoire. I also regularly team up with like-minded people on projects at the intersection of classical and contemporary music. Beside my solo projects, I also work with orchestral collective s t a r g a z e as well as pianist and composer Chad Lawson.
From solo concerts and chamber music to orchestral performances, tours with internationally acclaimed bands, festivals and the BBC Proms, I’ve got a diverse background and am a versatile musician who’s always on the look out for new challenges.
Let me know if you’d like to work together – I bring my strong work ethic and sense of humour to every project, along with excellent qualifications in the form of a Bachelor Music (Hons 1 and University Medal)/ Bachelor Arts (Philosophy) as well as two master’s degrees (Musikhögskolan i Malmö, Koninklijk Conservatorium Den Haag). I’m also lucky enough to play on a beautiful cello generously on loan from the Nationaal Muziekinstrument Fonds.
- ‘On/Off’: Solo set at Gaudeamus Festival, Utrecht performing works for solo cello and electronics by Anna Thorvaldsdottir, Daniel Wohl, Michael Gordon, and Coroline Shaw (2017).
- Bach Dialogues: Collaboration with dancer and choreographer Anne van Engeland (KuuB Ruimte voor Cultuur en Kunst, Utrecht. June 2016)
- The Concert: Collaboration with pianist Manuel Wouthuysen and graphic designer Ming Sin Ho of Cargo Collective (KuuB Ruimte voor Cultuur en Kunst, Utrecht. February 2015)
- Member of the Berlin-based ensemble s t a r g a z e, including:
- Collaboration with Poliça with performances at Eaux Claires Festival, US, 2017
- Performance of works written for s t a r g a z e by Qasim Naqvi, 2017 (Dawn of Midi)
- David Bowie tribute at the BBC Proms, 2016 (broadcast live)
- Music featured on the soundtrack to the 2016 Oscar-winning film The Revenant
- Collaboration with Richard Reed Perry (Arcade Fire)
- Collaboration with Bryce Dessner (The National)
- Performances with the Residentie Orchestra, the Gelders Orchestra and the Malmö Opera Orchestra
- Appearances at the Minimal Music Festival in Amsterdam (2015)
- Tours with internationally acclaimed bands Mumford and Sons (2010) and The Cat Empire (2008)